One of the less appealing aspects of summer here is that, in order to be good neighbors, we have to be vigilant about mowing our lawn.
Good Guy is a "let's get Astroturf" kind of guy, and our objective was to eliminate grass somehow. We are too lazy to make that work, and last summer we hired a kid to cut the grass. He did a fine job too, when we could find him.
But this year, our kind neighbor started cutting our grass at the same time he did his own. I told him I'd gladly hire his daughter to do it, to which he replied, "You'd be better off with me." Well, you don't have to hit me with a brick. I wrote a check, brought it to him, and said, when you need more, let me know." He mows, edges the sidewalks, runs the weed whacker. He's worth his weight in gold!
But, while we were plotting how to eliminate grass, I kept thinking, "If I'd only started planting raspberry bushes when we moved here, we'd be eating berries all year long." (A gross overstatement, but a happy thought.)
Then I noticed that we were getting volunteer raspberry brush along the long side of the deck. That's cool. I bought a tame bush this spring and added it to the wild stuff. Not only is it thriving on the side, it is coming up through the small spaces in the decking! We will be able to reach out from the kitchen table and grab a handful of berries----in due time. Perhaps you can spot the leaves coming up through the decking.
There are some invasive species that I just love!
Good for you! Berries and a grass cutter. My husband likes cutting grass and yes, he notices neighbors lawns that aren't up to his standards.
ReplyDeleteI like to set up gladiatorial contests between different species of invasive groundcovers. Ajuga! Viola! Fight!
ReplyDeleteWhoever wins is fine...at least that's one less place I have to mow.
You folks are just genius to let the neighbor keep up your lawn - especially if they are much happier doing it for you! LOL
ReplyDeleteNow, the only problem with the raspberry bushes coming up through the deck is that you might step on them barefoot and damn, that would hurt!! I know I'd step on them.