Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Of Flowers and Steroids


At this stage of the summer, my flowers are on the wane. I didn't plant many annuals this summer and I just have a big pot on the deck with cosmos and impatiens.

There has been enough other plant life in the yard to keep us enter-tained. (Not to mention the baby bunnies.)

This plant with its huge white flowers is a favorite of mine, though. It is a variety of the moonflower and they are lovely. The whole plant is pretty with large dark green fuzzy leaves, and the buds of the flower unfurl in a spectacular way. Each blossom lasts only a day. The blossoms are very like petunias----if you magnified a petunia's size about 2o times.

This variety reseeds in the spring in my neighbor's garden. When I bought seeds and tried to grow them, they turned out to be vines and not like these at all. They were still showy and fragrant, but not like the ones I coveted. One year Red had lots of unwanted volunteers and I had moonflowers everywhere I could find a space to plant them. What a great year that was. Thankfully I took pictures of those.

I took this picture of Red's moonflowers this year, one day last week. They are in a flower bed on the side of his house facing ours, where he can't see them at all, and I can see them from my workroom. Isn't he a kind neighbor?

2 comments:

  1. Every year I think I'm going to plant some Impatiens but then don't. Next year for sure! I think they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moon flowers - I think I may have planted those once when I lived in Eaton Rapids. I didn't remember that they only bloomed for a day.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.