Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mean Spirited

We Yoopers and Wisconsinites are jubilant because (for a great many of us) our favorite team will be playing in the Super Bowl in a couple of weeks.

The football season is nearly over, but the sports channels and sports talk shows on the radio still have hours to fill. (Some of these talkers must be two weeks out of their Pampers. They talk about Bart Starr as if he were from the leather helmet age.) Ignorance abounds.

But I digress. Poor Jay Cutler, the much maligned quarterback of the defeated Bears---I love that phrase-----defeated Bears--------is catching heat for not playing injured. According to his coach, it wasn't Cutler's decision to be benched with his injury; it was the coach's decision.
But other players are on his case for not playing injured in such an important game.

Then when they still would have lost, it would have been his fault for something else. Not every guy who plays football is a sweetie-pie and Cutler may not be as lovable as Bret Favre or Peyton Manning----but he's not hired to have personality. He's hired to be the quarterback, and he helped get them to the top of their division. His teammates say he's tough. They should know.

You done good, kid! Heal up fast. Enjoy watching the Super Bowl game from your couch. (Thanks from a Packer Fan.)

2 comments:

  1. ...leather helmet era hahahaha! As Keetha says, I snorted! These players are supposed to act like they do in the movies and run out on the field even though the coach benched 'em.

    Go Pack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Jay READS your blog as I'm SURE he could use this encouragement about now.

    I do not fault him for not continuing to play if he was advised not to go back in. But I DO think he brings this criticism down on his own head by his lack of "support emotion" WHILE he's over on the sideline. Can you picture either of the two QBs you mentioned, Manning or Favre, sitting PASSIVELY on the sideline with NO evidence on their features that they WANTED their team to win?

    Perhaps what Jay needs to change, more than anything else, is his demeanor.

    All I know is, even before the pundits had a chance to say these things, as I yet watched the game, I said "He will PAY for not looking like he cares!"

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.