Wednesday, May 25, 2011

First things First


Well, I skipped my day with my quilter friends today to get some seeds put into my garden space. Thanks to my Granny Wagon, I can stay out there longer and accomplish more. Thanks to the internet, I now have the attention span of a gnat, but if I can't stick to planting I trundle somewhere else to grub out some crabgrass or weeds.

There is some weed growing in there that puts the taproot on a dandelion to shame. That puppy is LONG, and of course there are plenty of dandelions and other weeds that protect bare ground from erosion----under other conditions. Last spring we dumped a whole load of manure on our garden and some of those weed seeds that survive bovine digestion, and a season of snow are sprouting out there too.

This part, the grubbing around in the dirt, spading and pulling weeds is my favorite part of a garden. The sprouting seeds are pretty cool, too. This year we are resolved to leave plenty of space for rows and plants, since our yard became a disorganized jumble last year. Live and learn. GoodGuy is a novice gardener, but he's in charge of the salsa plants. As Dad used to say, "He isn't going to learn any younger."

And neither am I. It is so hard for me to picture what that tiny seed can become with the addition of sun and rain

1 comment:

  1. We used Weed-B-Gone this year on our dandelions and it has worked pretty good. My husband is very happy about that--he hates those things popping up in our yard.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.