Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Magic Hat


Behold, the warmest hat I've ever made and just in time for warmer weather.

I joined a Knit-along on Ravelry which is designed to use up orphan yarn. Which would be leftovers from other projects or weird stuff that people have given to you.

This puppy is knit in a long tube like a Hebrew National salami, and the ribbing part that you can see, which would go around your ears, is knit in the middle of this long sausage.

Are you still with me? At the end the left end of the tube is tucked into the right end, leaving a double thick ribbing in the middle. When you fold this over, yet again, you have four layers of warm over your ears. Is this not clever? Of course, it takes doubly long to knit, too, but that's OK. It gives me pleasure to think that even though the yarn isn't a preferred one, that it will keep somebody really warm next winter.

In the meantime, let's hear it for spring. Tomorrow I'll post a portrait of my ONE daffodil. The peonies are up, and the lilacs are showing signs of life----I think. Have a great Wednesday!


4 comments:

  1. Hebrew sausage? Funny........

    BUT, love the hat. You are quite the knitter. I 'dabble' but if it has sleeves, I'm toast!

    I can't wait to see your flower....lucky you.

    Come on Spring. It's time for ALL of us!

    Hugs
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well, now it will be all ready for winter this year. It looks like a warm one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuckled over the Hebrew sausage line.

    Sounds like it took quite a bit of fancy fingerwork to create this particular Hebrew sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hebrew sausage! Hootin' and Hollerin' over here LOL I can think of many days when I would have liked four layers of warmth over my ears.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.