Thursday, August 18, 2011

Fragmented, for sure

Mrs. 4444 gives us the opportunity to do exactly what I need this Friday. A place to make a list of unrelated items which I either don't know enough about, or have enjoyed in passing while whooshing past them online.

You can read the fragments of others and you can make your own contribution and link up at this party yourself at Halfpastkissintime. Try it, you'll like it.

I've spent time venturing into previously unknown territory this week. Online, I mean.

I discovered a fine website/blog run by some of my favorite artist/teachers. Kathy Johnson and Gwen Diehn do a blog on art journaling called, appropriately Artists Journal Workshop. Other talented people contribute, too, and it's a treat for me.

I saw a heartwarming video about a fawn being rescued by firemen from a pile of boulders while the doe hovered in the background. It was on Wimp.com and I can't find it anymore. The link worked at one time, and I apologize. You'll be able to waste hours there watching other videos though.

I also found some minimalist information. I still have way too much stuff, but I hanker to live with less. I get e-mails from Be More With Less, and there are many interesting blogs and websites. Such as the Barefoot Chronicles.

If you read and enjoyed "The Help", do not hesitate to see the movie. It is very well done, and though a few things had to be left out, the movie is real faithful to the book. Our book club discussed it yesterday, and my walking partner and I went to the matinee today. We enjoyed it very much.

I decided to join Carole's knit along and even ordered the wonderful hand spun yarn she urged us to buy. Now I can't wait for it to come. The yarn is coming from the Woolen Rabbit.

The art journaling site took me to Piece Work Wallets, where they make wallets, coin purses, checkbook covers, and such out of sturdy recycled packaging from other products. Like potato chip packaging, the plastic stuff that they pack sheet sets in, and that sort of thing. I love that kind of creativity and "repurposing".

I think that about does it for fragment sweeping for tonight. Have a great weekend. Read all the contributions. They are a great bunch.

6 comments:

  1. We look forward to seeing the that movie too! Maybe we'll get there this weekend. I've only heard good things about it.

    Long ago we had a Pastor's wife who had a knack for making crafts out of every day things like carpet samples, cigar boxes, coffee cans, string, milk cartons so we had a "Hobby Club" for kids on Saturday mornings to come and do crafts. It was a big hit!

    My dad recycled things too. He made drawers out of cat litter boxes and the Whiskis cat food boxes and orange juice cartons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put the Artists Journal Workshop website onto my blog list so I can sit down tonight and really look through it. Right up my alley! As long as there are no image transfer techniques involved....not my cuppa.
    Spent the entire day yesterday puttering on my journal (in between house stuff) since my hubby is still gone (home today). I think I changed my undies, but am not quite sure. I know I brushed my teeth.....hmmmm

    Hope your yarn comes soon and it's wonderful. I know you like a Good Yarn (pun intended). My friend invited me to a knitting day next week and I'm actually going. Not a clue as to what I'll do, but they seem like a good group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just BARELY got my fragments in before Friday was over - - - - I'm kinda meeting myself COMING and GOING these days.

    Had to run to the cheese factory this afternoon.

    Spent WAY MORE there today than when I took you the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Help - I'm happy to hear that the book readers are enjoying the movie, too. I have the book on my Kindle, but I haven't started to read it yet.

    Art Journaling? Hmmmmm, a new project. I bet I'd like that site, too!

    Hope you love the yarn :) and the project!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Art journaling really sounds intriguing. I suppose I will have to spend hours looking for the other video too...my nick name is Doe and somehow I feel connected to them.
    I still have to read the "Help" I am so behind in my reading. I guess writing a book will do that to you. I have a tiny break now so I am hoping to attack my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you put up pictures of your projects!! i cant wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.