Birthday remnants: We finally had weather suitable for travel to a fine restaurant to celebrate my birthday with an excellent meal. I left the bread basket alone to make room for a margarita,( love those limes for avoiding scurvy), shrimp tempura, linguine with clam sauce, and a tasty dessert. I sort of split the dessert with Good Guy, but he didn't eat half by a long shot. It was all delicious and the service was wonderful!
Yooper remnants: Yesterday I posted a video someone took of our town. It depicts a very small rural town in its selective choice of views to include. Of course, if it showed Wal-mart, K Mart, Shopko, Wendy's, Arby's, Home Depot, etc.--it would look like every other town in America.
But, the town and environs have a about 20,000 people rather than the 2,000 you might expect from viewing the video. (It's a great place to live, especially if you're really fond of winter.)
My dear friend since middle school days translated a letter for me this week. I'm thankful for the internet and being able to keep in touch with loved folks far away. But I digress. I got a letter in Spanish from a seven year old, and she got the translation back to me in a flash. This little girl is attending a school, now located on the site of what used to be an orphanage where two of my sons lived as small boys.
I am thinking my learning for 2012 might be learning Spanish as spoken in Colombia. That should keep my brain limber.
Good Guy says his travel sites are promoting Colombian travel. Hmmmm......
Our Christmas tree is up, and is quite simple and beautiful, if I do say so myself. It is short and squatty---not our usual Charlie Brown emaciated stray. White light and balls of gold, silver, and frosted white. Very pretty indeed.
In a spirit of inclusiveness, I polished up the menorah too and loaded the candles. If the Lord could keep the oil supply up for the event that Hanukkah celebrates, I can celebrate, too.
In my twenties, I lived in a four unit apartment building in Skokie, Illinois. We were the only Gentiles in the building, and we were very frugal. We didn't decorate for Christmas because we were packing up and heading up here to be with our families, plus we thought we were being sensitive to the feelings of our Jewish neighbors. They bawled us out for not bringing some Christmas cheer to the building.
They were very excellent neighbors. Wherever you are, Happy Holidays, Marlene, Marty, and Rose!
Karen got a Kindle for her birthday---and I've decided I'm jealous. I guess I'll have to put one on my list. Good Guy is shopping for a new TV set. Is that a hint?
In spite of the fact that I have knitting to finish and send, I am nursing an aching shoulder and limiting my knitting time. It's driving me batty. What did I do all the time before I resumed knitting? Played spider solitaire, probably. I wasn't scrubbing floors, I'll guarantee you that!
I think that about sweeps up all my fragments for this Friday. I hope you are joyful in your preparations! Hope and joy, that's what it's all about!
If you have Fragments to contribute, please join us. We love scraps and left-overs.
good to know you don't need to worry about scurvy.
ReplyDeletefond of winter - there really are people who like it?
apartment neighbors - funny how we think we know what they are thinking.
my mother loves spider solitaire. is your shoulder feeling better yet? traveling somewhere warm would be great!! but we are jealous of that snowy tree. we are still above 50 degrees and the kids wanna know why the army dragged us to this warm state ;-) i hope we get some!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you don't sweep your fragments under the rug and share them instead. I love margaritas!
ReplyDeleteOh boy...your birthday meal sounds like it's exactly what I'd order. And, yes....those limes work wonders [in more ways than one]
ReplyDeleteA belated happy birthday wish from me to you.
Yes, Virginia is my link for Mall Fragments this week. I do hope you may find some time to visit?!!!
Now we share something else in common....I lived in Skokie for two years in a co-op...on LaCrosse Ave. near the Skating/Hockey rink..I met my friend Ellen and her family who lived in next co-op and we are still friends 38 yrs. later..She lives in Charlotte and I am in High Point...Lived through the neo-nazi people coming up to Lincolnwood exit and could not get to Skokie...I loved the deli on Dempster....There are some of my memories of Skokie....
ReplyDeleteHave a Blessed Christmas...
Love from NC
Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday....Food sounded yummy!!! Give me a pasty!!!YUM
ReplyDeleteMe again
Sandy
Skokie! I have friends who used to live there, she was a Christian and he was a Jew. He loved Christmas more than she...
ReplyDeleteA good birthday dinner is always in order! I heard scurvy is making a comeback and the suggestion is to have a margarita a week. LOL
ReplyDeleteI have always wanted a Menorah but didn't think I could have one, not being Jewish. I think they are beautiful.