Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday, Friday

Greetings from the Dark Side------of the day, that is. Technically it is morning, but I'm counting the days 'til the solstice and the days begin lengthening.

Mrs. 4444 of Half Past Kissin' Time hosts this weekly gathering of like-minded hoarders of bits. So we each sweep up the scraps and link up together to share.

1. I had an alarming (to me) Skype interruption yesterday while I was reading blogs in which an automated voice warned me that my firewall had failed and I should go directly to the address he kept repeating in his creepy voice. Good night, charlie! I was off that machine and shut down so fast it made my head spin.

2. Our desktop seems to be on it's last legs. That one keeps shutting down and restarting unbidden. It's old and not much is demanded of it, but it's unnerving, anyway.

3. Reading-----Night Ferry by Michael Robotham. A tenacious heroine and main character.

4. I'm finally securing the pockets of the nutmeg colored vest I started in October. It'll be nice and big now that I've lost almost 30 pounds. (That's two fragments right there.)

5. As Mrs. 4444's said in her fragments, we had a nice visit at the hospital when she stopped by to feed me baked potato chips, and distract me from pacing the floor. I wasn't really worrying for the first two hours of his one hour surgery----but I was anxious after the third hour and counting. And she's just like her blog---thoughtful, funny, thinking, curious, and cool!

6. I'm not worrying about how many days until Christmas. I'm counting the days until the solstice and the days begin getting a bit longer.

7. Which is not to say that I don't celebrate Christmas. I surely do. I celebrate everything. My son spotted our menorah one visit and said, "I didn't realize Good Guy was Jewish!" Good Guy is a skeptic after being raised a Baptist. But he celebrates Christmas, too.

8. I was so pleased by my grandson's reaction when I proposed that I should spend the Christmas present money on Heifer, International. " That'd be awesome, Grandma!" How heartening! He'd learned about HI at school, where they had drawn T-shirt art to promote it.

That's all I've got, folks. And it's 2 degrees, F. and I've got to feed birds.

6 comments:

  1. This year we wanted to donate the $ spent on our grandson to a worthy cause, too. He needs nothing (really), but we figured that would go over like a lead balloon since he's 9 and wants everything. So I APPLAUD YOUR GRANDSON. He's a wonderful kid and deserves a hug!

    Your week was full, wasn't it? I know you really appreciated having company as you were pacing the hospital waiting room....what a dear friend to come by and keep you company.

    Congrats on the weight loss. That is truly great accompllishment and I know you've worked hard on it. So if the vest is a bit big, that's okey dokey. More room for a couple of turtlenecks when you go outside. 2 degrees????

    Hubby is off in a few hours so I'll be knee deep in cleaning the bathrooms. It's what I do when something bothers me. They are pretty dirty, so apparently I've been fine for awhile!

    Stay warm and say hi to the birds for me. We haven't had ONE show up here, so the birdbath (spa) and feeders are in the shed until Spring. Guess everyone is at your home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, and enjoyed visiting with you. But it is much too cold there for me to stay long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't keep the sound on my computer, so I'm not sure about anything creepy coming up. But I'd be really freaked...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really looking forward to the days starting to get longer again, and I know there are still a few weeks of shortening. Today we got home at 4:30 and it was already getting dark. It makes me tired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feed birds? Thanks goodness; it's late, and at first I read that as "give birth."lol

    I had no idea you'd lost so much weight. Congratulations:)

    I enjoyed our visit very much and hope to have another some day :)

    Are you absolutely sure your grandson realized you were giving HIS present money away? Really, that is one special kid.

    Okay....almost falling asleep here...gnight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I told Mrs. 4444 - I'm totally jealous that the two of you met! I can't wait to be a part of the group that has met you :)

    Congrats on the 30#. That's a lot of sticks of butter!

    I don't feel the pressure of the winter here in Florida like I did in Michigan. Those dark days really made me sad. I know exactly what you mean about waiting for the solstice.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.