Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pondering Day

For several years now I have used some questions posed by Jamie Ridler of  Jamie Ridler Studios as a help to evaluate the past year.  The questions examine both the good and not so good, along with what parts you'd like to keep and what to discard.

Her questions include:
What was the highlight?  
What was the low point?
What are you proud of, what was fun, what has changed, what did you say "yes" to, what challenged you?

Who are the new people in your life?   What will you be glad to leave behind?

There are more questions including one that reminds me of Barbara Walters interviews-----if this year was a painting, what color would it be?

These questions also help me plan for the new year because I can think of what I would like to say next year at this time.  (If the Lord tarries, as my Mom used to say.)

In addition, this site offers great creativity resources.

Speaking of which:  I bought a journal in April in Dubuque at River Lights Bookstore which challenges the reader to commit to making something 365 (or 366, as this Leap year) days a year.  The author is Noah Scalin, who made a skull out of a different medium for a whole year.  Strange, yet interesting.  and funny....

I'm leaning toward letter writing or mail art.  If I have your snail mail address----beware.

Also, I need to address "comments for a cause".  I haven't been begging for your comments in my usual shameless manner, because we have commitments that come due in the fall that money has already been promised for.  Suffice it to say, that comment money will go to South America and provide tuition money for a certain little third grader, and the leftovers will go to Heifer International and Doctors Without Borders.

I do cherish your comments.  I thank all of you who make yourselves known to me.  And I wish you all a wonderful new year.  May all your good dreams come true.

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Ann...this is my final comment for 2011..
    I am looking forward to saying, on a daily basis...We are closer to the Lord's return than we were yesterday....(And I love "Should the Lord tarry" like your mom used to say)
    Praying that my hands stop hurting and being numb in 2012, praying our adult sons turn their hearts back to the Lord....and tons of unheard prayers to the Lord....
    Your writing letters sounds great...I used to love writing letters, note of encouragement, etc. before my hands stopped working right. My letter/note receivers were always blessed by a word on paper from the mailbox....
    Love from NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snail mail. A lost art now. Gone are the days when I had BOXES of stationary in the drawer and sheets of stamps. And stalked the mailperson. 'Tis a bit sad, actually. My handwriting was much better then because I USED a pen and not a keypad.

    Well, YOU got me to thinking tonight Ann (as usually is the case). Off the top of my head is how grateful I am to have my husband home(although he continues to do scary outdoor sports).

    Oddly enough, I'm happy to have found friends here on the net (which is NOT snail mail at all). The world is big but the internet brought people into my life that I never would have met (you included big time).

    I shall ponder a bit more, Ann. Thank you for always being a positive light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear - - - this makes my approach to a New Year seem really simplistic. I just decide, like I do every single day, to do the best I can with each day and experience sent my way.

    That's all - - - no deep ponderings for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the reminder to retrospect on 2011 a tad...been so busy i haven't had much time for it lately. I am a kind of one day at a time-r, too, but looking ahead and doing some planning never hurt anybody! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. River Lights is a bookstore owned by a high school classmate of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ponderings!!! And I LOVE Snail Mail!!! That is kind of one of the reasons I got into making cards. It is a lost art--the art of writing letters and sending cards anymore. Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.