I don't know why I feel compelled to tell you that, except that I try to be honest always, and try to tell the truth even when nobody else gives a rip.
This video was shot in my town and has some awesome footage of Pine Mountain Ski Hill. It's toward the middle of the video. Hope you're amazed. (muffled laughter.)
Let me know what you think, too. Please.
Tell me you don't have a toilet in your front yard.
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice little slice of Americana! I bet there are many wonderful memories among those homes and lakes and ski jumps. Thanks for posting so I can see where you are!
And I really like your new blog header, too. Winter in the UP. Nothing like it!
I'm in the hotel at the moment waiting for D to arrive in 3 hours. It's good to be back and see the mountains!
It's quite lovely!!
ReplyDeleteThe film reminds me that the UP is a place where Nature always wins. Almost all the land in Iowa is intensively used and we think we're in charge of it. But in your neck of the woods, humans carve out little pockets in which to live, then spend half their time maintaining those places against the elements, vegetation, and animals. It feels like if people were to leave Iron Mountain, it would be swallowed up by forest in 5 years, never to be remembered. A future archaeologist would find the ski jump and wonder about the sun-worshipping cult that must have built it.
ReplyDeleteOh, Ann, I don't remember Iron Mtn. quite like that....BUT the ski jump...oh, yes I do remember that...When we lived in Crystal Falls, we went in the summer and Hubby and our sons climbed almost to the top...Me, I just walked up 25 steps....hate heights....Had friends that jumped in the winter though...drove from Wis. to the jump...But the scenery around Iron Mtn. did look familar...thank your "little" brother for the film...Been almost 20 yrs. since I have been to da UP, eh!!! HEEHEEHEE
ReplyDeleteLove from NC
Now there's a walk for ya - I was tired just looking at all of those steps LOL I guess being from Michigan the little town looked about like I thought it would, but it makes me itching to visit.
ReplyDeleteThe area is breathtaking and the video is really well done. what a place of beauty, like so many in our wild and wonderful country. those rickety wood steps WERE daunting.
ReplyDeleteterry lee getz