I have just mixed brownies, and they are baking as I (gingerly) approach this subject.
.
I am assuming that most people who read this will be the person in the household who is usually responsible for doing the housework.
I ask you now, "Have you ever been done doing the housework?" Has there ever been a time when you could sit down and say there is nothing more to be done?
My mother wasn't an advice giver. In fact the only thing she told me was Never Learn to Clean Fish. And she was an excellent housekeeper. But she did explain that nobody would ever notice that things got done; they would only notice if things Didn't Get Done.
I'm not addressing this subject because I resent that. If I lived alone, I'd still be doing housework, but I'm thinking just once, I'd like to be Done. It might only last for a half an hour, but it would be so satisfying.
When my kids were growing up, one of my Life's Ambitions was to see the ironing basket empty. If I could accomplish that, maybe I can finish the housework too. Especially if I haul half of our stuff to the curb so it doesn't require attention.
Happy Housekeeping!
OH SO TRUE!
ReplyDeleteA friend of mine, who had 6 children, told me years ago that housework is like putting beads on a string that has no KNOT on the end. You slide the bead on, and it slips right off again.
So true. "A man may work from sun to sun, but a woman's work is never done."
My mother also told me never learn to clean fish!
Cass
Ann when my kids were little I felt like I cleaned and they were behind me strewing toys. Sigh...it never ends. I don't clean like that now, it's just too much for me.
ReplyDeleteI don't clean fish! But ....I did learn how to butcher a deer....big mistake.
ReplyDeleteOne of the best things about my rental condos is that I clean them and I get it finished. When I'm finished I lock the door behind me and it stays done until I have a tenant move in.
ReplyDeleteAs for my house - my house has never been done. It would be nice though, wouldn't it :)
It has always been myambrition too to see the bottom of the ironing basket - and I haven' GOT any kids!!
ReplyDelete