Saturday, July 17, 2010

If you seek a beautiful peninsula, look about you!

It has come to my attention, that the expression "U. P." is not universally understood, even in the continental United States.  Therefore I will do a tiny geography lesson and direct you to some sites which will teach you more than you ever wanted to know about Michigan.

U. P. stands for Upper Peninsula, because Michigan is made up of two large peninsulas of land surrounded by the Great Lakes.  (Angie, punch up a map of the US, and look for the Great Lakes in the center and northern border between Canada and the US.)  The lower peninsula is bordered on the east by Lake Huron, and on the west by Lake Michigan.  The upper peninsula is bordered completely on the north by Lake Superior. 

So, you see, even though we are in the center of the midwest far from any ocean, we can hardly feel land-locked with these huge lakes on every side.  They govern our unpredictable weather, and our lake effect snowfall, and are a huge brooding presence in our lives.

The state is very large if you consider the distances from Ironwood at the western edge of the upper peninsula to Detroit at the far southeastern corner of the lower peninsula is 10 and a half hours of  driving time.  If you take the Michigan route, you have to drive east to the Mackinac Bridge, then south to Detroit.

In fact, when my husband was going to college in Aberdeen, South Dakota two states away, he was closer to home than when he was going to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

I could gab away all week about Michigan, a complicated and interesting state, but more can be found online at www.answers.com/topic/michigan and at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Peninsula_of_Michigan.

Our weather is still darn near perfect.  Hope I haven't put a curse on it by enjoying it so much. 

4 comments:

  1. Ah NOW i understand. Thanks so much for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michigan has the best of all worlds - the Great Lakes, many smaller lakes, sand dunes, pine trees and mountains, snowfalls that can't be beat,hardwood forests, and the best fruits and veggies known to mankind! We have it all in our lovely state!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Michigan and, in fact, did some planning tonight for our trip to Calumet in a couple of weeks. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a little shpeel that I give when I talk about Michigan and the U.P. When I lived in New Mexico I'd have to explain Michigan and the lakes and when I was in Michigan I would have to explain that New Mexico was indeed in the United States. LOL

    Kristin - The Goat

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.