It's about time to think about packing up and print out our boarding passes so we're taking stock.
We have not eaten beignets, drunk daquiris, or hurricanes, or had any po'boys.
We've eaten muffelettas, fried green tomatoes, sweet potatoes, bread pudding, crayfish galore(I swear they sneak into EVERYTHING.) Not that I mind. Tonight I had blackened catfish. Time to get our seafood jones satisfied while here.
Today we saw the city to be viewed from the windows of the streetcar routes, and we ended up at lunchtime at a most excellent restaurant called Refuel. Everything we ate was so fresh and delicious. It's hard to stand out in a city known for delicious food at every turn.
The food was fine tonight but the music was more memorable. The performer could sing, and made the most wonderful music on a sax, a trumpet, a flute, and bongos. We told him as we left that his folks definitely didn't waste money on HIS music lessons.
On one of our times here we didn't hear anything but country music, which was a huge disappointment to us. We enjoyed lots of great jazz on this trip.
Another great music city is Savannah. One year when we were there it happened to be the week of the free jazz festival and we were in Jazz Heaven! What serendipity!
We just can't wait to brush the snow off our car in Milwaukee!
oh I am still jealous, love all the food you mentioned. Hope you had a wonderful time! It is stinkin' cold here!
ReplyDelete0* in Central Wisconsin now at nearly sunset - - - we may HAVE been a degree or two warmer than that in the middle of the afternoon, but not much!
ReplyDeleteAre you coming back today? Maybe you're already back here in the arctic circle and I just didn't realize it!
Ann sounds like you had fun. No beignets? Oh my, that is one of my musts when I visit NO
ReplyDeleteHi Ann,
ReplyDeleteIt was great to see GoodGuy sitting in the sun and strolling along the avenue in New Orleans with no jacket or coat, no gloves, no hat with earflaps, and no boots. January up here on the northern plains (and, no doubt, there in the north woods) seems the endless month of bone chilling cold, grey skies, deep snow, short days, and low spirits. I wonder if a short break brings relief to the winter season or just emphasizes the seasonal doldrums.
Cheers,
Jay