Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Let's walk in the Woods


It takes sharp eyes to spot the earliest wildflowers, even in my photographs. There are only a few varieties in the woods where we walked. Yellow violets, hepatica, and a few trilliums grow there. In the woods behind my parents' house there were more varieties; in fact, it was hard to take a step without crushing some.

Our walk was really pleasant because the access road to the fields beyond the woods is free of long grass and wood ticks. They are more of a concern when dogs go walking with you in the woods in the spring, but I'm no big fan of getting them on me either. And once you find one------you're pretty sure you can feel them everywhere.

I planted blue violets under my lilacs hoping they would spread. There aren't many under the lilacs, but they are growing between all the cracks in the cement to the west of them. Pretty, but not quite my plan. LOL It amazes me how plants can "move around". I have a bleeding heart that has spread in the most unexpected ways. I need to find another and plant it in a shadier spot where it can thrive properly.

Have a great Tuesday. Plant something and watch it grow. It'll do your heart good----even you Ms. BlackThumb.

6 comments:

  1. Ann,
    Your pictures are SO beautiful. You have a real gift for photography.

    Whenever we see nature in its precious beauty, I always think of the line of 1918 poetry by Gerard Manley Hopkins - "Glory be to God for dappled things...".

    Hope all is well with you. How are your 'sponsored blog comments' going? Have you got enough for the goat/cow?

    With our love,
    Jasper and Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see green and other colors in the UP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've seen but one or two trilliums in the wild. I worked at the Trillium Gallery in East Lansing, though :)

    I shouldn't have thought about those ticks - I'm starting to itch. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Phlox has spread onto our driveway! Funny how things manage to grow in the cracks in a driveway too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The official animal of the UP should be the tick. Never in my life have I been so thoroughly infested with them as when Tom and I took a hike up there. Heebie-jeebies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. Black Thumb planted some bulbs in the ground - - - nothing coming up yet - - - and some geraniums in pots. Fisherhubby put the geraniums in the garage tonight so they won't f _ _ _ _ _ if the temps go as low as they say they will tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.