Are those your memories of Memorial Day weekend? When I was a little kid I was pretty sure that they had all these special events in honor of my grandfather. Only my grandfather.
Now even my mother had scarcely any memory of him since he died of tuberculosis when she was but a toddler. He lived to be only thirty years old, and through the years, with the time spent decorating his grave, his dear wife probably spent more time doing that than she ever spent married to him.
When he left her a widow with three small children, it was before the days of any social safety nets to help her financially but she knew how to work. And work she did. Back when she had to heat her wash water on the wood stove in the kitchen, and heat her iron the same way, she did the white shirts of a great many of the professional men in our little town.
Mom and her younger brother were responsible for delivering these starched white shirts after they came home from school. They used sleds in the winter, and a wagon in the summer, and woe unto them if anything got dirty!
So in addition to honoring our servicemen and women who have sacrificed so that we can live in such a society, I'll give a nod to my own tough forebears and the legacy they left for us. Hail Lisa Anderson, Feisty Immigrant of the First Order! Thanks for being who you were!
Memorial Day....memories of people past and present who sacrifice for ours and others freedom. I am grateful for those people so I have freedom (at least for today) to live for a time without oppression from tyranny...and be able to have freedom to speak my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteGod Bless
Sandy in NC
My memories of Memorial Day mostly revolve around parades - in which I walked, in my wool Girl Scout uniform, carrying the American Flag because, as the tallest girl, I would be sure to have that flag higher than the troop flag. And I swear that parade route was 12 miles long! I don't know which was worse - the Memorial Days where the temps were in the 80s or the ones where they were in the 40s...
ReplyDeleteRegradless, they all instilled in me the respect due to those who gave everything so that we could march in our parades, carrying OUR flag.
Great minds think alike...In my own adventures in self-reliance this weekend, my mind turned to my female forbears too. I'll never have to raise 10 children all alone in the hills of Kentucky. If great-grandma Maggie could get through THAT without a man around, then I could suck it up and fix the lawnmower. The bar has been set pretty high for us American women.
ReplyDeleteI don't recall any Memorial Day events as a kid. My folks didn't like parades so we never went to stuff like that.
ReplyDeleteYour story of the laundry is priceless. I can't help but think that kids in those days really understood what it was to be a member of the family...to help contribute. I think for all of our advancements we've lost quite a bit of family responsibility. I know that wasn't your point at all! I'm just thinking out loud.