Sunday, May 8, 2011

An Open Love Letter

Dear Mom, Doris, and Margaret,

[Editorial note: Mom is my own mother, and Doris and Margaret were my mothers-in-law.]

It is the evening of Mothers Day, and all I have to do now for Mothers Day is hear from my own kids and step-kids. I don't get to visit with any of you or send your cards or flowers on time. But on this day I'm reminded of is how I miss you and how much you all taught me. Thanks to your good example, I learned how to relate to my kids' spouses and not to butt into their business. I even try to not give advice.
I get to remember the laughter, the family stories, and the way you loved our kids in that way that only grandmas can.

Margaret, I remember the way you taught my kids math by playing Twenty-one with them. And how we'd laugh when we'd hear little voices yelling, "Hit me, Grandma, hit me," when they needed another card. What a character!

Doris, you were the cook and baker, extraordinaire. Your rib recipe with the falling off the bones deliciousness that we can't quite duplicate is a wonderful memory. I'll always remember your kindness and goodness to me, and how we loved getting married at your house with family all around. It was a wonderful day for us.

Mom, you would not believe how often I can still hear your voice. Sometimes it comes out of my own mouth, like when I'd quote momisms to my kids in the olden days. Amazingly, I can sometimes spot you peeking around in the mirror, too. You know how often I was accused of looking just like you? Well, enough said.
The older I get, the more I am thankful for all of you and the blessing you were to my life. I am thankful to be healthy and have every expectation of being able to remember your bumptious selves for many years to come.

Thanks for everything. I hope you'd all be proud of us.
Love,
Annie


4 comments:

  1. That's just beautiful. You were so fortunate to have three women who helped shape your life and it's even more wonderful that you appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, I just saw my sister's name in your "goat count"

    I sent her an e-mail alert to come over here and see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice letter. Mom's are definitely a blessing! My mom used to play games with us too to teach us math, how to make change, US geography and spelling.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.