Monday, July 4, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

I have spent some time in studying the philanthropy sites today to discover that there are a great many well-run organizations serving the needs of American servicemen and women, their families, and survivors.

I also have discovered that I haven't ever heard of many of them, because they spend the greatest proportion of their funds on program instead of publicity and fund-raising.

Today I'll make a list, just for your edification, and so my day of study won't be wasted.

Fisher House Foundation
Disabled American Veterans Charitable Service Trust
Armed Services YMCA
Homes For Our Troops
Injured Marine Semper Fi
National Military Family Association
The Navy SEAL Foundation
Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors
Special Operations Warrior Foundation
Operation Homefront

All of these entities earned a four star rating for using almost all donated money for programs to benefit men and women in the service or their families.

A short list of groups that spend 80% of their fund on further fund-raising are American Veterans Relief, American Ex-Prisoners of War Service Foundation, and Vietnow National Headquarters. FYI

In a completely different vein, we saw eagles and geese out at the lake, and deer along the roadsides. We had been home in town for about an hour when three deer ambled through the yard munching on my hosta plants. How you gonna keep 'em out in the woods, after they've seen Paree?

3 comments:

  1. Just leaving a note to say hello and how glad that you've had a nice vacation.

    I am partial to groups assisting military families as Da Yooper is retired Navy and one son served in the Marine Corps with distinction. Today, we saw some video of reunions for military families and our eyes teared up. Freedom comes with high prices...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list. The only eagle I see is at the zoo and it's usually always sitting on the same tree branch. It was on the ground one time when I went. I do see geese and deer often here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of most of those organizations, but it's good to know that they are there and ready to help. This country is full of givers and it's great to know that their giving is going to a great organization that uses their money wisely.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.