Those buzz words would be "police", "firemen", "cancer", "children", or "veterans". There are probably more, but those folks don't call me.
So, this was Brian who was giving me the opportunity to share my wealth with our returning troops. I interrupted his spiel with, "Here's the deal, Brian. As soon as I hang up, I will check you out online to find out what percentage of my donation will help returning veterans."
Oh, ma'am, the percentage is 80/20.
"80 for fund-raising, and 20 for returning veterans?"
Yes ma'am, let me explain...
Click. Explain. Sure, you and Bubba, there on the telephones are taking home most of the dough. I think I might have talked to Brian before, and I returned my "pledge card" with the same explanation I just heard.
Thankfully there are charities that are good stewards of the money that people donate! And thankfully there are good ways for us to check up on them.
Our comment count so far this month is 73. Comments for July and August will each earn 50 cents for Operation Homefront. I have a particular concern for injured veterans and their needs, partly because the family has many people who work in rehabilitation, and because my birth family had a goodly number of gimpy and semi-gimpy people in it. They overcome, but sometimes we can help!
And that's another reason why it's annoying to hear of "agencies" who purport to help, but little of the money goes to provide that help.
Thanks for listening to yet another rant. I feel much better now. LOL.
I never give to telephone solicitors. I hate the interruption and you just can't be sure if they are legit.
ReplyDeleteI always feel bad for the poor schmucks on the line. I hated selling pizzas for marching band...to my grandmas and aunts. These folks have to cold-call complete strangers. I'd last about an hour.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, for sure! It is a horrible job and my biggest nightmare is cold calling strangers! Next to that awful one last night where I was surrounded by suitcases and none were mine---and I was in desperate need of clothing.
ReplyDeleteThis is why we have an unlisted phone number. It makes people I know mad, but getting cold calls just is SO rude! When we DO get one (seems that computers can access our #), I can be very rude or just hang up. Depending on my mood. Donations are something we think long and hard about (like you).
ReplyDeleteHope you found your clothes in those suitcases!
Thanks for posting your 'rant'. We've all been there and need to get tough with these schmucks.
So glad you do this charity donation based your comments. It's a great idea.
ReplyDeletehugs,
Linda
You are way nicer than I. The moment I perceive they are telemarketers I break in and say I don't participate in telemarketing and please take my number off their list.
ReplyDeleteDoing my part, one comment at a time... :)
ReplyDeleteP.S. Thanks for holding down the FF front when I was gone!
Well, I don't think I've had a suitcase nightmare like yours before LOL
ReplyDeleteI was a telemarketer for a few weeks - I was awful, but none of it was legit I found out. It's easy for me to turn them down because I was there once.
Good for you and rant away - it's the only way some folks hear about these types of things.