Tuesday, July 5, 2011

To Every Thing, A Season

Last week while my family of cousins and their children were making merry, a cloud lingered nearby. It wasn't obliterating our good time, but it was on our minds, and people were praying for a happier outcome than we ended up with.

My last uncle in my Dad's family was gravely ill after suffering a stroke following back surgery earlier the week of the reunion. He had implored the doctor to delay the surgery until after our get-together because he so wanted to be there. In fact, his suggestion long ago was one of the reasons we began having fairly regular reunions.

We were given stern looks at the funeral home when our family was laughing together, and Earl said, "We have to get together at something more fun than funeral visitations."

Well, he didn't recover from his stroke, and we will recall this reunion as the one during which Earl was in Intensive Care. Things were always more fun when he was there. My dad's three youngest siblings have all died in the past year.

As you can see on the headline gadget, I chose Operation Homefront as the July/August Charity. But while I was searching yesterday, I came across "Soldiers' Angels" which gave me the opportunity to "adopt" a soldier and commit to writing letters and sending boxes. I didn't have to worry about their good stewardship of money to get an address from them.

Now I need to get out and buy some stamps. Please leave a comment if you visit. I'll be grateful!




7 comments:

  1. How very sad; all of those uncles...I will check out these charity's we support wounded warriers. I like the idea of actually sending something.
    Hope all is well with you [besides of course the uncles]
    Your blog is looking really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so hard as our family ages and we start losing Aunts and Uncles. I too have had several of my Mom's siblings pass on. Still we are planning a reunion in Nov and I hope all goes well.

    I like the charity you picked. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each 5 years we take a family photo...the whole clan. This would be the year, but it's the 1st time Granddad isn't with us. I asked Grandma whether we're going to do a picture. She said she hadn't thought about it. I really want to do it but in all kindness, I can't push her about it. We're still a family. But she's still brokenhearted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. What a heartbreaking year this has been for you. I am so sorry your Uncle missed this reunion. He should have been there.

    I have been sending soldier boxes through AnySoldier.com for about 6 years now. I've heard of Soldiers Angels too. They all need our support. You're doing a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One year at our family reunion, our then 48 year old cousin dropped dead just as we finished singing the doxology as the blessing for our meal together.

    It was awful - - - and something we all remember.

    We we thankful we knew he knew the Lord so we know we will see him again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad he missed the reunion. Funerals were pretty much the only time my family ever got together. We only went to a couple family reunions which I felt like a stranger at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I said in an earlier/later comment - funerals make for family reunions, but it's nice to have regular reunions so that funerals aren't the only venue.

    We have two family reunions each year. I seem to get there about every couple of years now that I live in FL, but I used to go every year, to both.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.